Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review: As the World Dies: The First Days


As the World Dies: The First Days
by Rhiannon Frater

The morning that the world ends, Katie is getting ready for court and housewife Jenni is taking care of her family. Less than two hours later, they are fleeing for their lives from a zombie horde. 

Thrown together by circumstance, Jenni and Katie become a powerful zombie-killing partnership, mowing down zombies as they rescue Jenni’s stepson, Jason, from an infected campground.

They find sanctuary in a tiny, roughly fortified Texas town.  There Jenni and Katie find they are both attracted to Travis, leader of the survivors; and the refugees must slaughter people they know, who have returned in zombie form.  

Fast-paced and exciting, filled with characters who grab your heart, The First Days: As the World Dies is the beginning of a frightening trilogy. 


*****
5 Stars

This is one of the best zombie books I have ever read. This is the third time I have read it and each time I find myself liking it even more than the first. I figured it was about time I finally wrote a review for it.

The thing that I like the best about this book is the fact that nothing is sugar coated. Things are going to happen and you are not going to like them. Every other book I have ever read never once took into account that adults are not the only zombies out there, because there are children zombies it makes it seem more read to me, the only ever zombie thing that has done this is the TV series The Walking Dead. Its sad, but a sad fact of what would really happen if something like this ever really did happen. There is gore but it isn't enough to make your stomach turn, just enough to get the point across.  

The story itself is petty much like any other zombie book out there, the survivors trying their hardest to make it through life. Things seem more intense because you honestly never know if one of the characters you have grown to like is going to make it.

I like how things moved in the way they did. And the way everyone pulled together to make "the fort" what it was. I also liked the added elements of inner turmoil as well. Not everyone can get a long with everyone and it was nice to see that this is shown. It wasn't just a bunch of people living in harmony with each other. 

Jenni is hands down my favorite character, and to me her story is the saddest. She is insane but at the same time completely amazing. I looked forward to when things would be told from her point of view. Katie started to get on my nerves after a while, but at the same time I could understand what she was going though so I was able to put up with her.

The only thing I didn't like was the format, but honestly the copy of the book I have is old so I can't say if it is something that has gotten fixed at this point, so it won't get a bad mark from me. 

Would I recommend this book? Hell yeah, if you like zombie books you will love this one.

On a side note, I seen that the book has quite a few different covers. The one I put up here is the one that my copy came with, and its the one I like the best. If you look for this book on Amazon it will show a different cover so don't be confused by this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...