Friday, September 6, 2013

Maerlin's Storm (Storm-Bringer Saga 1)


Maerlin's Storm (Storm-Bringer Saga 1)
by Nav Logan

Her life in an isolated mountain village has become troubled. It had all started the year before; when she had dreamt of a violent storm; a storm that would later kill her mother. Now Maerlin has become alienated from her close-knit community. They believe that she is instrumental in a number of freak storms that have wreaked havoc on their mountainside. Maerlin however, has other things on her mind - she is convinced that she is going to die.









*****
5 Stars

The synopsis of this book does not get even close to giving this book justice. It is just a small part of a great tale. So if you are thinking it doesn't sound interesting you need to think again, there is just so much more to it.

Maerlin plays a very important part of a war in the making. Though a series of events she finds herself in the hands of Nessa, a magic wielder and is shown that the storms that have followed her all her life are so much more than she ever thought. Growing in the knowledge of the Wild-Magic she has she finds herself in the unlikely group of a prince in hiding, the heir to the begger throne as well as a war chief and a close friend. Its up to her to grasp her magic before things turn towards the dark.

Hmm, I usually don't try to sum books up like that but I feel it needed to be done in order to express how much is really going on in this book. Its not just Maerlin coming to grips with her life, there is so much more going on under the surface of things.

The book is told from a few different point of views, though in the beginning you are mainly focused of Maerlin as she learns what exactly she is. This is done brilliantly, there is nothing more that I love than being able to view things from so many perspectives. There was never a time that I didn't know who's head I was in. It also gives you a chance to get to know everyone that is on this quest and to see how the grow and change.

I really liked the way the magic was in this book as well. It is done in a way that I have never seen. I loved the way the people that used it didn't so much as "use" magic but asked permission to control the elements around them.

The beginning of the book moves a little on the slow side, but that is needed that so you can really get to know everyone, but once things start moving they really take off. I wouldn't have guessed at everything that happened at the end, though I did kinda figure out who the Dark Mage was towards the end, there was enough subtle clues left that I knew, but at the same time wasn't 100% sure of it until it was really said out loud. I love when I read books like that, I like to try and figure out exactly whats happening and I either smile because I did or smile because I didn't. Its fun for me.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, it was a very exciting read for me and I'm very much looking forward to reading more about Maerlin and everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...