Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kingdom of Heroes


Kingdom of Heroes
by Jay Phillips

They were supposed to be invincible; they were supposed to be our heroes.                

Years ago, a gene virus ran rampant across the planet, leaving a small percentage of people gifted/ cursed with extraordinary abilities and humanity itself forever changed. Suddenly, there were people with super strength and speed, people who could read minds, people who could teleport themselves from place to place with but a single thought. 

Several of these people joined together to form The Seven, the most powerful group of supers the world had ever known. Led by the enigmatic Agent America, The Seven kept the country safe from threats both foreign and internal. That is until the United States government decided the threat of the supers outweighed any protection they could offer. 

After a war between the super powered and the normals (as non-powered humans are now referred), The Seven have placed themselves as the nation's rulers, controlling the country through fear and intimidation. But now, someone or something is murdering The Seven one-by-one, single handedly attempting to make them pay for all of the sins they have committed. 

To stop a killer, The Seven turn to a man who hates them as much as anyone. An imprisoned man known only as The Detective finds himself in the unenviable position of helping the people he despises in exchange for his freedom. 


*****
5 Stars

I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book when I first started reading it, but before I knew what was happening I was pulled into the mystery of what was going on trying my hardest to figure it all out. I have to say it was a very entertaining read.

It was like taking all the super heroes you hear about changing their names and then spinning them around and showing how the good guys could easily turn around and take control of everything they stood to protect. This book really reminded me of every super hero movie I have ever watched at some point, but at the same time is able to stand on its own.

I have to say The Detective was a great character, though his super powers aren't anything super great he could handle himself well. The witty banter he kept flowing made what could have been a very serious book more lighthearted.

This book touched on a lot of different things, and though you knew what Agent America was doing was wrong at the same time you could see why he was doing the things he was. Honestly he reminded me a lot of my Dad and his views, and lets just say I hope nothing like this ever happens for real cause Agent America could very well come to be.

At first I wasn't to sure how I liked the journal entrys placed though out the book, but after a while I started to like the way you could gleam some different information from them. Like when you would start thinking Agent America really wasn't so bad you would come to an entry that would have him doing something horrible and you remembered why you aren't suppose to be on his side again. It fit into everything really well and gave you the information that everyone else already knew about.

I have to say I did figure out part of the mystery before The Detective did but it didn't take him to much longer to figure out the same thing that did. But I was completely clueless to the reason behind everything else right up to the end.

Would I recommend this book? Yup, anyone that has even the slightest like of super heroes will enjoy this book, and if you like a good mystery all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...