Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Impaler's Revenge


The Impaler's Revenge
by Ioana Visan

In a world crawling with vampires, Romania is the safest place left on earth. Thanks to the Little Council, there hasn't been a vampire on Romanian ground in over five centuries. But one day, Liana Cantacuzino, also a member of the Little Council and a descendant of one of the old noble families, is ordered to bring one in, covertly. Enter Maximilien Hess, a thousand years old vampire determined to ruin the existing order of things.

Suddenly, Liana finds herself forced to protect Hess, instead of having the pandurs kill him. With the help from her trustful friends, Rodica Ghica and Ştefan Sturdza, and that of an innocent bystander, Dr. Jesse Carver, Liana has to find out what is going on and what the President is hiding from her. When all is revealed, Hess's secret changes everything.

The first novella in The Impaler Legacy series, a vampire saga like no other.



**
2 Stars

This isn't like any vampire book I have read in a long time. Its kinda nice to see someone write a book that doesn't have everyone swooning over a vampire. But I do have to say I didn't exactly like the book to much either. There just seemed to be a lot of things going on that seemed a little on the pointless side, where I would have liked to learn more about Liana and the Little Council you got more about little tasks she was doing while keeping taps on Max. It just felt a little impersonal to me and by the time I did learn a little more about her I just didn't care, mainly because the book was almost over and I felt that I went through the entire book looking from the outside in. 

I didn't feel any real connection to anyone in the book. The friendships Liana has didn't feel real to me, this could be because she didn't really interact with them other then when she was doing work or calling in favors and Jesse just seemed to be added into the mix to have a little romance going on the side lines. The only "person" I found I liked in the book was Max, and that is because I liked the way he just didn't seem to care about everything that was going on and had his own things that he was doing, and I liked the way he pushed Liana's buttons and made lighthearted banter most of the time.

The ending of the book seemed really rushed to me, I honestly didn't really understand how she was managing to pull things off the way she was. We found out a lot of information about what was really going on but at the same time where loaded down with her own personal feelings. I just wish I could have learned all of that stuff before everything started to go down, and I really would have liked to know what was so special about her blood.

Would I recommend this book? Not really, it was a quick read and I like the different view on vampires but I'm not interested in learning anything more about anyone and whats exactly was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...