Monday, March 11, 2013

Valor (A Greystone Novel #1)

Valor (A Greystone Novel #1)



By: Taylor Longford

*****
5 Stars


I love when a book can rock my world, and this one really did.

MacKenzie is just your average 16 year old girl, or at least that is what she thought. Her world gets turned on its head the day her step-father ships a mysterious crate to the house and she is there to sign for it. Curiosity getting the better of her she opens it up and finds a beautiful sculpture inside, but the sculpture is so much more then she could even imagine.

I was pretty excited about reading this book. I mean gargoyles, come on I have never read anything like it. I went in with high hopes and the book was better then what I thought it would be. I loved the way the gargoyles were explained. It make sense to me, and was something I wouldn't have expected.

I liked how each gargoyle had a different personality, and how they all looked out for each other. With so many character I thought it was going to get confusing trying to keep who was who straight, but it was surprisingly easy to keep track of everyone. The only problem I had was with Victor and Valor. I kept mixing up their names, probably only because they both start with a V, I tend to do that sometimes, but I eventually got it worked out with myself. I also liked how MacKenzie's red hair made her more special then she could have even thought she was, and how she handled this little surprise. Though it really shouldn't have been such a leap after believing in gargoyles and harpies.

Though nothing really exciting happened until the end of the book it was still a good read. Learning about the gargoyles and getting the feel for each different one interesting enough in its own. I liked how the story wasn't bogged down by the time MacKenzie spent in school, especially because the gargoyles didn't have anything to do with it. I liked MacKenzies personality a lot, she knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to go after it. She wasn't a damsel in distress, and stood up for herself.

I can say the only thing I didn't like was how fast the relationship developed. It is something that always kinda bothers me when I read YA books, but I've come to expect it so it didn't distract from the story to much for me. I had a minor freak out when I thought there was going to be a love triangle, there is nothing more I hate then a love triangle and it would have really killed the story for me. So thank goodness it never happened, and MacKenzie stuck to her guns.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, I've already check to see if the next book was released and I'm going to get it as soon as I'm done with this review.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds great, I want this! I'm obsessed by buildings with gargoyles on them, I stare for ages taking in all the details. So I'm intrigued by this book.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...