Friday, March 22, 2013

Happily Never After

Happily Never After
by: Missy Fleming


There's no such thing as happy endings.

Savannah, Georgia is rumored to be the most haunted place in America. Quinn Roberts knows it is. She's felt the presence of spirits her entire life, investigating and photographing them with her best friend. Only none of those encounters ever turned violent, until now. The menacing darkness feeding off her stepmother has promised she won't live to see her eighteenth birthday.

After a chance meeting Quinn reluctantly allows actor Jason Preston into her life, which has complications of its own. She's not used to letting people get close. Falling for him while fighting for her life, and her family's legacy, only complicates things more. Jason shows her exactly what she stands to lose, especially when she's being attacked by the mysterious entity. Each attack is more violent and terrifying than the last.

With Jason's help, she dives into the Roberts' family history, searching for a link between a woman who went missing a hundred and fifty years ago and what's happening now. What they find is a brutal murder and that the ghost doesn't just want to hurt Quinn, it wants revenge.

It wants her life.



*****
5 Stars

I went into this book knowing it was a sort of Cinderella story. I have a big weakness when it comes to books were an author takes a classic fairy tale and makes it into their own story while still keeping to the original plot. I love them and really never pass up a chance to read something like that.

It also didn't hurt that I love ghosts stories or anything that has to do with hauntings. These things appeal to me, I like being a little scared or creeped out when I read stuff sometimes. Missy Fleming's took some of my favorite things, put them together and made a really great book.

Quinn really did make me think of Cinderella. She was on the meek side, but was ready to fight for the things she loved when the time came. She had her own inner strength that would come out when it was needed. I didn't like how she let herself get pushed around, but at the same time I understood her predicament.

I liked the classic kind of haunting that went on. It was the kind of stuff that gives you the willies and makes you want to sleep with the light on just in case. It wasn't over scary with things, just enough to make you think twice about that creaking noise you just heard. But don't be fooled things don't stay that way the entire read, they get much worse the farther you get in. 

The way Savannah, Georgia was described made me want to go there. I don't know it was true to the real place, but I really hope it was. The conflict in the story was a nice touch. I liked how Quinn had to find pieces of the puzzle to put it all together before she really knew what was going on and we learned as she did. 

The ending blew me away. I did not see that coming at all. I can't say more then that because it would give it away, just know it was a big twist.

I would say the only thing I didn't really like was the relationship aspect. It felt a little forced to me, and maybe just seemed like a good way for us to learn a little more about Quinn when she would talk about her past to Jason. To me it didn't really feel like they cared about each other. But since I didn't read this book for the romance it didn't take away from the book to much for me.

Would I recommend this book? Yes, anyone that likes fairy tales with a twist will love this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...