Sunday, March 3, 2013

Clockwork & Old Gods Book One: Incursion

Clockwork & Old Gods Book One: Incursion



By Mark A. Sargent 

*****
5 stars 


I find myself drawn into anything that has to do with steampunk lately. It is very rare that I find something worth reading to the end. Clockwork & Old Gods Book One: Incursion is one of those rare books, it has the feel of an epic fantasy mixed in with steam and coal powered machines. 


What you have here is a mix of characters all starting at out different points in the story. You know a lot of what is going on but at the same time there is mystery as to what the entire picture is going to be, this is what keeps you reading. They all eventually group up with one another to face an evil that threatens to destroy their world as they know it. As you might be able to guess the story is told from multiple points of view, and you learn a little about everyone. I love when I read a book that has this going on in it. . .I don't like knowing only what one person sees and does. 


Right from the get go you know who the "bad guy" is and what he is doing. The things you don't know is why he is doing this, and why he fights so hard against it. This kept me reading at first, but as more and more people were introduced it was their point of views that kept me interested in what was going to happen next. 


I'm having a hard time explaining exactly what it is that I loved so much about this book, but if I had to choice something it would be the way Mark Sargent was able to seamlessly mix something as off the wall as steampunk with fantasy. Magic, demons, and crazy contraptions made for a entertaining and fun read for me.


Though this has the feel of an epic fantasy to me, it isn't bogged down by what I think is unnecessary details. You get the straight up information you need when you need it, while not feeling like you are being left out of things. Though there are a lot of different characters to follow it isn't confusing, and while the point of views shift often you are never left floundering and wondering exactly who it is you are now reading about.


Would I recommend this book? Yes, those of you out there that are getting into steampunk with enjoy it, and those that love fantasy stories with swords and battles against evil will love it as well.






(I feel like I have to put this out there. . . .I totally forgot for an entire day to actually put a rating on this book)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...