Monday, March 18, 2013

Altered - Revelations of the Evolved

Altered - Revelations of the Evolved


By: Shawnda Currie

**
2 Stars

I went into this book pretty excited. I mean time travelers coming to the past to stop a future war that going to ruin the world. Anyone should be excited about that.

Lacey has made some bad choices in life and her father sends her to a detention center called Clear Waters. While there she meets Taylor and he introduces her to time travel and her own special powers. Together they break out to try and stop certain events before they can cause a war that will destroy everything.

So I told you I was excited, I went in with my hopes high. . .like real high. I got crushed. The concept of the book is great. Everything else not so much. Everything just seemed so forced to me or to easy. I imagined a hard struggle to accomplish their goals when in reality they pretty much just hung around until D-day and kinda took everything on the fly. The filler just wasn't exciting at all, they robbed a bank. . .a freaking bank! And I still wanted to yawn the entire time.

Lacey, I did not like her at all. She reacted wrong to everything. She gets attacked in what I imagine would have turned into rape if it didn't get stopped and there is one sentence were she gets a little teary eyed over it. It has no affect on her at all. Taylor leaves her in the woods by herself and she spends an entire night stuck out there in the rain and he says "I'm sorry" twice and suddenly its okay. I wanted to jump in the book smack her around a little and tell her to grow a pair and stick up for herself. 

I didn't really like Taylor either, mainly because I never got a chance to know him. It was like he was just there for the romantic interest and to give Lacey a few training sessions to unlock her mind. Other then that I didn't get the feeling he ever cared for her at all. Honestly I thought there was going to be some major plot twist where he turned out to really be the bad guy (which would have made this book much more enjoyable).

Everyone else in the book is the same way. I can't even remember their names, all very forgettable characters. 

The ending didn't work for me at all. I can admit I was a little shocked, but not enough to get excited over everything. The fact the everything just works itself out so nicely was disappointing, I wanted to see Lacey struggle a little more.

Even though I didn't like a lot about this book I really really liked the concept. It was just so awesome, and it was explained well. I didn't just have to accept that these people could travel through time, I learned how it was done and it was easy to understand. I would have liked to learn a little more about future Earth. 

Would I recommend this book? No, it just didn't work for me. I found myself more disappointed then happy at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...